Sunday, April 23, 2017

Sunday in Richmond - Part 1

I mentioned in an earlier post that Richmond Nature park was a good place to see Purple finches. On that day I did not see any, so I returned for another try. Since my last visit, they had put up hummingbird feeders. I stopped to check out the action there first.

My first shot was an Anna's male, displaying his breeding colours.


Anna's Hummingbird - Richmond Nature Park, Richmond BC

There were Rufous Hummingbirds as well, I caught this female away from the feeders.

Rufous Hummingbird (F) - Richmond Nature Park, Richmond BC

I was in luck for my purple finches today, there was both a male and female present.  The Purple can be distinguished from the House Finch by the deeper red/purple colour that covers much of the body, both front and back.

Purple Finch - Richmond Nature Park, Richmond BC - 2017 Bird #132

Here's the female, the brown streaks on the breast and a bit of a crescent below the eye.The lower bill bottom edge is straight, it is curved on a House Finch.

Purple Finch (F) - Richmond Nature Park, Richmond BC

A multi-species shot as the finches compete for seeds.

American Goldfinch and Purple Finch - Richmond Nature Park, Richmond BC

Here's a couple of shots of an American Goldfinch male:


American Goldfinch - Richmond Nature Park, Richmond BC

And a different angle on the Purple Finch:

Purple Finch - Richmond Nature Park, Richmond BC

And a Chickadee to end the visit.

Black-capped Chickadee - Richmond Nature Park, Richmond BC

My next stop would be Iona Regional Park in Richmond, detailed in the post below.


No comments:

Post a Comment